(太宰府天満宮) is a Shinto shrine in Dazaifu, Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan. It is built over the grave of Sugawara-no Michizane and is one of the main shrines dedicated to Tenjin, the deified form of Michizan.
The shrine's precinct spans over 3,000 acres (12 km2) and includes several structures. Its honden, or main shrine, was first built by Umasake Yasuyuki in 905, two years after the death of Michizane. A larger structure was constructed by the Fujiwara Clan in 919 but was destroyed in a fire during a civil war. The Momoyama-style shrine visitors see today dates from 1591 and is an Important Cultural Property. The grounds also contain two ponds, a bridge and a treasure house.
As well as the main shrine dedicated to Tenjin there are auxiliary and branch shrines of many other kami. The auxiliary shrine honden is an Important Cultural Property.
The shrine is also known for its 6,000 ume (Asian plum) trees belonging to 167 varieties. One tree, known as Tobiume, stands directly to the right of the honden. Legend has it that after Michizane left Kyoto in exile, he yearned so much for this tree that it was uprooted and brought to Dazaifu Tenman-gu.