Negoro-nuri was started in the Kamakura-era (1185-1333) by monks of the Negoroji temple in Kishu (now Wakayama Prefecture) who attached importance for the use of these products such as dinner ware or containers. They painted these products with red urushi several times over the black urushi. If red urushi is used as a base, then it is called Akebono-nuri. It became famous because when the red urushi wore off from general wear and tear, the black urushi began to emerge from underneath. This look of natural wear was considered to be very refined.