Matsue-jo Castle is one of only about a dozen original castles in Japan, meaning that its castle tower has survived the wars, fires, earthquakes and anti-feudal activities of the post-feudal era (since 1868).
Matsue-jo was completed in 1611 by the local lord Horio Yoshiharu. In 1638, the fief and castle were reassigned to a branch of the Matsudaira clan, relatives of the Tokugawa. The castle tower underwent major renovation works in the 1950s.
Matsue-jo Castle can be reached in a 30 minute walk from JR Matsue Station or in a 15 minute walk from Ichibata Dentetsu's Matsue-Shinjiko-Onsen Station. The castle is also connected with both train stations by the "Lake Line" loop bus.