Tokugawa shogun placed 53 sekisho (facility for inspection) on major roads across the nation to defend Edo (current Tokyo). Hakone Sekisho was one of the largest and was thought to be important among them.
Hakone Sekisho was placed on the current location in 1619, during an early period of Edo-Era. One of the main roles of sekisho was to control 'incoming guns and outgoing women', which means to prevent weapons from being
brought into Edo and wives and children of feudal lords from fleeing from Edo. However, Hakone Sekisho did not inspect 'incoming guns', and severely inspected 'outgoing women'.
Sekisho, which operated for about 260 years during Edo-era, was dissolved in the next year of 1868, when the government changed.
The "Soshu Hakone Osekisyo Goshuhuku Dekigatacho" (1865), a detailed report on the dismantlement and repair of Hakone Sekisho at the end of the Edo-era, was found in Shizuoka prefecture in 1983. A thorough analysis of the report revealed specific details for all the buildings and structures of Hakone Sekisho. A full excavation and restoration began in 1999.