Rice: Short grain sticky rice such as Tamaki, Nishiki etc./ Rice cooker: Zojirushi • Substitute: any heavy-bottomed pan/Vinegar: Vinegar has to be rice vinegar • Substitute: none
Sushi rice, serves 6: Rinse rice until water is no longer milky; pour the rice into a strainer and let stand 60 minutes. Add the rice and water (about 1/3” higher than rice, approx 3 cups for 6 people) into the heavy-bottomed pan, cover, and bring slowly to a boil over medium heat. When the water boils, increase heat to high and boil 3 minutes, then reduce heat to medium and boil 5 minutes. Do not let the pot boil over. Reduce the heat to low and boil a final 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
After rice is done, combine rice and sushi seasoning: 1. Rice vinegar 8 Tbsps; 2. Sugar 6-8 Tbsps (your choice); 3. Salt, 3 tsps; then combine and boil for a very short time. Use wooden container (salad bowl), mix rice by cutting across it in a slashing motion, and then let it cool to around 220 degrees temperature.
• Spicy tuna: Tunas are relatively safe fish because they live in the deep sea and move around very quickly. Some researchers have said that deep-sea tuna is safer than unwashed strawberries. Buy fresh tuna. Cut tuna into small pieces. Any spicy sauce + Mayo (if you like), combined.
• Smoked salmon: Buy smoked salmon, cut into pieces.
• California: Fake crab, avocado and cucumber (if you like a crispy taste). Cut cucumber into long pieces, add light salt, then leave for 5-7 minutes; then wash.
• Squid: Buy large squid; boil in slightly salted water, 2-5 min.
• Shrimp: Buy shrimp, peel off the skin, and boil in slightly salted water.
• Eggs (gyoku): Place the shrimp and egg york in a food processor and whir to a fine paste. Remove the mixture to a bowl and gradually mix in the lightly beaten whole egg (egg york 5, whole egg 4). Add sake, suger, mirin, soy and salt. Pour the egg batter into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.