Reconstructed and original (red roof tiles) tenshu of Aizu-Wakamatsujo Castle (2010 and 2011)
Aizu-Wakamatsu-jo Castle, also known as Tsuruga-jo Castle is a traditional castle in northern Japan, at the center of the city of Aizu-Wakamatsu, in Fukushima Prefecture.
The castle was constructed by Ashina Naomori in 1384, and was originally named Kurokawajo. It was the military and administrative center of the Aizu region until 1868.
Date Masamune, the greatest warlord of the Tohoku area, had struggled against the Ashina clan for years, and finally captured the castle in 1589. But soon he submitted to Toyotomi Hideyoshi and gave it up in 1590.
In 1592 a new lord, Gamo Ujisato, redesigned the castle and gave it the name Tsurugajo, although the populace also referred to it as Aizu Castle or Wakamatsu Castle.
During the Edo-era, it was the seat of the daimyo of the Aizu-clan. The founder was Hoshina Masayuki, the son of shogun Tokugawa Hidetada and the grandson of Ieyasu. He and his successors bore the Matsudaira name. The castle was an important Tokugawa stronghold in the Tohoku Region of Honshu.
The castle was surrounded in 1868 during the Boshin War. After a month of isolated defense, Matsudaira Katamori surrendered. It was broken by the new government in 1874.
The tenshu, the largest tower of the castle, was reconstructed in 1965 in concrete. Currently there is a museum inside, and an observation gallery on top with panoramic views of the city.
Tsurugajo was covered red roof tiles made in Aizu area before demolished in 1874. It was completed in March, 2011 that change to original red roof tiles.