This glassware, referred to as "vidro," meaning "glass" in Portuguese, was originally created from the glass buoys used for fishing in the vicinity of Mutsu Bay. Sand from the Shichiri Shore, found on the west coast of the Tsugaru Peninsula, is used to create this glassware, which is hand-blown in the style that originated over 2100 years ago.
The glass is first fired at 1500 degrees, and then again at 1200 degrees, when it begins to take shape. After the second firing, the red-hot glass is taken out of the oven and blown again by filling the rod, to which the glass is attached, with air to force the glass to expand. At that stage, the glassware takes on its final form. Tsugaru Vidro, with both its colorful transparent qualities, is not only beautiful, but practical as well.