Yakushiji Temple, Toto (East Pagoda), 1/75 model, size: h. 48 cm (18.8"), 50 hours to finish.
Yakushi-ji is one of the most famous imperial and ancient Buddhist temples in Japan, located in Nara. The temple is the headquarters of the Hosso school of Japanese Buddhism. Yakushi-ji is one of the sites that are collectively inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, under the name of "Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara." The main object of veneration, Yakushi Nyorai, also named "The Medicine Buddha," was one of first Buddhist Deities to arrive in Japan from China in 680 A.D. and gives the temple its name.
The original Yakushiji was built in Fujiwara-kyo, Japan's capital in the Asuka-era, commissioned by Emperor Tenmu in 680 A.D. to pray for recovery from illness for his consort, who succeeded him as Empress Jito. This act of building temples in devotion to Buddhist figures was a common practice among Japanese nobility. Emperor Temmu had died by the time Empress Jito completed the complex around 698 A.D., and it was disassembled and moved to Nara eight years after the Imperial Court settled in what was then the new capital. It has been long believed that the temple was moved to its present location in 718 A.D., following the move of the capital to Heijo-kyo, known today as Nara. Yakushiji site in the 1990s suggest that there may have been two Yakushiji at one time. The Fujiwara-kyo, Yakushiji is also referred to as Moto Yakushii (moto, original). Fires destroyed most buildings of the complex in 973 A.D., and the main Kondo hall in 1528. Much hard work has been put into restoration. The main hall was rebuilt in the 1970s, and the entire temple is now completely restored. The East Tower (Toto) is the only original
8th-century structure. It is regarded as one of the finest Pagodas in Japan, representing Hakuho to Tempyo-era architecture.